Friday, December 30, 2011

Puddle of Grace

I love reading blogs.

Last night I read a mommy blog by a well-meaning mom who is passionate about her cause.  I respect her for that.  We need to be persuaded of what we believe.  Her facts are probably accurate.  She feels so strongly that she admitted that she judges moms who fall short of her standard.  Unfortunately, I fall short.  If she knew me, she'd judge me.  It's a gross feeling.  Defensive words rise and bubble and I want to plead my case.

The only reason I have that response is because I wish I could somehow look good in everyone's eyes.  That's an ugly idol.

The idol of the good opinion of others is a ruthless, unforgiving, exhausting taskmaster.  Foolish, foolish woman that I am to even pause there.  I long for the day in which I don't even twitch at the allure of this vain idol.

When I look into the eyes of my Savior all I can see is love--even though I fall so far short of His glory (which is so much greater than that of any human standard!).  Here is a God worth serving!  He offers me His grace for the messy places.  He offers His strength to help me reach the goals He values.  He offers me the loving community of others who also recognize their need.

As I sit there in a puddle of loving grace, laughter rises up.  Thanksgiving and worship begin to drown out all the defensive words.

If you find yourself feeling inadequate or defensive today, I invite you to join me at the foot of the cross.  There's so much grace and joy here!

So let us come boldly to the throne of
our gracious God.
There we will receive his mercy,
and we will find grace
to help us when we need it most.

Hebrews 4:16 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment