Monday, December 12, 2011

His Masterpiece



The sunrise was so incredible this morning.  I desperately wanted to seal its glory in my heart, remember it forever, so I stood on the deck shivering, fingers numbing, as I captured frame after frame.  Not one did justice.  Maybe if I had a better camera?  Maybe such things are only to be savored in the moment?  I don't know...


This photo by Kaleigh
Then the whisper came:  "You think that's glorious?  That's nothing compared to my masterpiece."


I know what's been said about His masterpiece:


Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done,
so none of us can boast about it.
For we are God's masterpiece.
He has created us anew in Christ Jesus...



The way He has made us new.  It's more glorious and valuable to Him than the spectacular beauty of the sunrise.

I'm still so flawed.  I guess that's what he's addressing in the part about salvation not being a reward.  He has created us anew...a gift.  This creation is His masterpiece.

You.  All of you.  Me.   My funny little toe, the shape of my eyebrows, even the parts of myself I don't like very much--His masterpiece.  The places where His grace is still at work making us anew--precious and glorious to Him.  Inside and out, a masterpiece from the hands of the ultimate Creator.

I'm having a hard time receiving all that this means.  There's something awkward, that squirms--it's too much--such a big love, such an unconditional love, a love that has covered a great multitude of sins.  Honestly, it's easier for me to believe and receive it for you than myself.

It won't be long until the sunset.  I think I'll need to stand and soak it in a little more...let the truth of it pierce my heart.



Ephesians 2:9-1
1 Peter 4:8

1 comment:

  1. I read that Ephesians passage not one hour ago.

    Beautiful post. Also, Kaleigh has an inborn talent for photography...This isn't the first time I've thought this...

    ReplyDelete