Friday, November 18, 2011

The Refuge

If yesterday was the unexpected day of rest, today was the unexpected day of overload and when the "pile" teetered and began to slide around four p.m., some of the tension leaked out onto the coverall-ed shoulder of my husband...  I don't like to admit that I'm overwhelmed.  I'm afraid you'll be disappointed in me--after all, I am.

I've identified what needs to be removed from the pile and I'm in process of passing some of it off, but I wonder if I've got what it takes to carry on until that's accomplished.  Sometimes it's a relief just to admit that.  Some of the tension leaks out of my shoulders with the sigh of admission...

Knowing and doing the right thing is good, but it is not enough to do it solitarily apart from the community of love. I cannot simply be willing to share your burden, I must share mine too.

Then a phone call from a beloved friend with family distress unleases the flood of tears and in that moment we bear each other's burdens and instead of feeling the weight of the combined load, each load is lightened as we turn together to the Refuge. 

So tonight, this frosty Friday night, is for tucking into the Refuge of Rest.  Together.  Gathering strength to go on.

Have mercy on me, O God...
I look to you for protection. 
I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings.
I cry out to God who will fulfill his purpose for me.
He will send help from heaven...

My God will send forth his unfailing love and faithfulness.
O my people, trust in him at all times.
Pour out your heart to him, for God is our refuge.

Come, let us worship and bow down.
Let us kneel before the Lord our maker, for he is our God
We are the people he watches over,
the flock under his care.

Psalm 57:1-3, 63:8, 95:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment