Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Real Life Promises

I almost forgot this morning in the dark hours when awake came to my brain.  My mind began to organize and shuffle all the to-do's of today and tomorrow.  Overwhelming, but if I just put my head down, get 'er done, and survive until Thursday, it'll be okay...it feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest, but I can handle that for another day or two.

"Seriously, are you willing to settle for that?" the still, small voice whispered.

How do I forget so easily?  So quickly?  I wasn't made to "settle" for anything..."get 'er done" sounds so competent and reliable, yet is less than my birthright.  We're created for glory, but we miss it all when our heads are down and we're just surviving.

The promises of "good plans...a hope...that you will prosper" don't come with a disclaimer of "except for on the really busy days."

What good is the promise of being "armed with strength" to "scale any wall" and "stand on any mountain" except for on days containing walls and mountains?  These verbs are strong and full of energy, not limping along in survival mode.  Thriving and victorious.

The busy days hold gifts too.  I miss them all with my head down and an elephant sitting on my chest.

I can receive them all with face up, arms lifted, and a shout of praise on my lips.

I'm tired, but there's no elephant sitting on my chest.  Still looking forward to Thursday, but today was a  good day.

Thankful for grace, for gentle reminders in the morning darkness, and for promises that apply to real life.


For this, O Lord, I will praise you among the nations;
I will sing praises to your name.

Jeremiah 29:11; Psalm 18:29, 32, 33, 49

No comments:

Post a Comment