Friday, November 11, 2011

Freedom!

I grew up on stories of my family's experiences in World War II.  I never got tired of any of them, but my hands-down favourite was the story of the day Canadian soldiers liberated their village.  The idea of being born into occupied territory, always living in fear and hunger, and then  having handsome young soldiers show up and tell you that you're free...it captivated my imagination.

I love the movie Braveheart too.  All the gore and action that would normally turn me off completely is no match for the passion it stirs in my heart.   The thought of a man who will stop at nothing to gain freedom captivates me.

The idea that young men would leave their homes and families to sail across the ocean to liberate a country and a family that they'd never met is more than I can fathom.  That someone would die for my freedom is...breathtaking.

We were created to be free at any cost! I have a passion for freedom.  I want the whole world to know that our freedom has been purchased for us.  Someone did give everything for our freedom!  Freedom from every form of oppression has already been purchased for us...from fear, addiction, depression, anxiety, self-hatred, anger, bitterness, rejection, abuse, despair--you name it!  The one who the Son of God sets free is truly free.

However, it is necessary to believe and receive the gift.  The first step is to believe that Jesus Christ really is the Son of God and that His death and resurrection purchased your freedom from the ravages and pain of a sin-broken life and world.

How sad would it have been if my father's family had told the liberating soldiers, "That's nice," and then returned to their home to live as though nothing had changed?  Every life that had been laid down for their freedom would have been wasted.  The gift had to be believed and received.

To receive the freedom we need to follow the guidance of the Liberator.  He leads us into more and more freedom...through forgiving those who have hurt and harmed us...by thinking His kind of thoughts...by receiving and using the gifts of His Spirit...by trusting that He can make something beautiful out of everything that we give to Him...by believing that through faith in Him all things are possible!   Relationship with Him heals the wounds of the past and transforms a life.  Failure to follow His directions in these things will leave the shackles on even though they've been unlocked.

He loves us so much!  Everything He has ever done has been about connecting us to His heart of love and freedom.

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me,
for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to comfort the broken hearted
and to proclaim that captives will be released
and prisoners will be freed.
He has sent me to tell those who mourn
that the time of the Lord's favour has come...
He will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of morning,
festive praise instead of despair.
Isaiah 61:1-3a
John 8:36

No comments:

Post a Comment