Monday, June 7, 2010

Scars


I was mowing the lawn for the first time this season when I moved a piece of plywood that was slightly stuck and, in the process, gouged my calf with a corner. It really hurt and didn't look so good for quite a few days. It's looking better today. I sarcastically observed that "it'll add to the beauty of that leg". For some reason I have a lot of scars on that one...

Like the one on my knee from 1979 that still has rocks in it. I should have obeyed my mom and not taken my brother on the back of my banana seat bike... My kids love that story. Signs that mom once blew it too--and it wasn't the end of the story!

This got me to thinking about the scars on our hearts. We seldom think of them as beautiful and sometimes there's a bit of shame attached to them, but there's tremendous beauty in the miracle of a wound that has been healed.

Sometimes we carry scars that are "almost" healed, but are still a bit red and sensitive and seem like they've been that way for a long time. It's not meant to stay that way. Pray for complete healing. Ask someone you trust to pray with you.* God will answer--He's invested everything in your healing. He's answered this prayer for me in many ways and there's no end to His creativity. Pray with expectation!

There are times when our hearts have been healed, but shame lingers. We think it's the story of The Stupid Thing I Did or The Awful Thing That Happened to Me. This is a terrible lie that can stop the flow of Life from us to others. The truth is that everyone has wounds, but we have a testimony of a glorious Savior who heals the brokenhearted and binds up our wounds.

A wound that has healed is a beautiful thing. It's a testimony, a story, that tells of a great Healer who gave everything so we could be healed. Stories of healing need to be shared...everyone around you is in need of that hope!

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me,
for the LORD has anointed me to
bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted
and to proclaim that captives will be freed.
He has sent me to tell those who mourn
that the time of the LORD'S favour has come
and, with it, the day of God's anger against their enemies.
To all who mourn in Israel,
he will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of mourning,
festive praise instead of despair.
In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks
that the LORD has planted for his own glory.
Isaiah 61: 1-3

*You can send me a private message if you'd like me to pray--I'd love to pray for you.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Michelle! I'm the same way about scars...I have the attitude that they're just little reminders of what I've done in my life (bit through my lip in a b-ball final, been treed off a horse, been scratched by a thorn of a jujuga tree in Honduras while getting the frisbee, caught a nail on a telephone pole while waving a bus down). Some scars take a loooooong time to heal, and I the part about shame definitely resonates in me...it's really a daily choice to give those things to Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I'm beginning to write my story, in order to inspire hope in ones who have lost hope in the God I've come to know as "Abba" and healer of my broken heart.

    I need to read your posts more often. I find myself encouraged and strengthened when I read your posts.

    BTW, you don't know me by the name I'm using here but you do know me. :)

    ReplyDelete